Friday, 15 April 2016

The Fat Bottom Stash Bag

Here's my version of the granny stitch fat bottom bag ... The Fat Bottom Stash Bag.
I saw some on Pinterest, but there wasn't a pattern. So I tried to busk it and have a go myself. I'll try and explain how I made it...

Stylecraft Classique Cotton and a 3.5mm hook.

It started out as a giant dc (UK tr) granny square
30 rows in total
To create the top of the bag, I did a sc (UK dc) into one of the corners, then working right to left, I did a sc into the top of the second stitch of the granny cluster followed by a sc into the space in between clusters. And so on across that side of the square and for a total of 11 rows. This created a nice gathering.
I did the same to the opposite side of the granny square.

I then set to work on the sides of the bag and the handles. ** To do this I did a sc into the corner and right to left, a sc into each space between the clusters.

When I got to the top, I sc along the side and then chained 60 to create a handle, attaching it to the other side of the top of square with a sc. I then sc along the opposite side of the top. **

I repeated ** for the other side of the sqaure.

I then went on to sc around for a further 10 rows.
I didn't line my bag as it's just be for my crochet WIP ... yarn and a hook case. If I had wanted to line it, I would have done so before the gathering stage.

14 comments :

  1. Althought I may not understand the technicalities of turning a square into a circle, I certainly can appreciate that it is a truly pretty bag. Love all the pretty colors that are perfect for spring. Thank you for joining us over at sweet inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea! I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! This is a beautiful bag.

    http://www.divinedebris.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just finished this, this morning. I made a few tiny changes (Hey that's whats neat about making things ourselves, we can personalize it to fit our needs a bit!). Thank you for the pattern. I did tag you on Instagram with the picture if you'd like to see it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to do this, could you please share the pattern. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She explains how to do it on this page. You just make your basic granny square then do what she suggests. Have fun! :)

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this pretty bag you made! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the tips on making this bag. Done a couple before and followed Winks pattern. Love how you made the making of the handles so easy. You can see the finished bag on Instagram: hagalund107

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is AWESOME. I just saw it on Facebook and am about to run to my stash of WITHWIT yarn, (what in the hell was I thinking ), to create a real gem . Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete